Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Growing old? Me? You've got to be kidding, right?

Back in 1996, my son joined the U.S. Coast Guard. It wasn't until I received my first letter from him while he was out at sea that I realized I was anything but just "mom" to him. No, now I was "The Old Lady of the Abode," as the envelope was addressed rather than in my name. I found it humorous, as he was quite the comedian sometimes. In fact, after receiving several letters addressed in this manner, I began to use the title on the return address of my packages to him as well. Obviously, it was just a joke between us, or was it?


In the new millenium, I became a grandmother. Even then, I did not feel I was all that old. In fact, everything in my life seemed to be finally coming together. I had a career I loved, my kids were both doing really well, and I was having the time of my life!

Then, in 2004, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was 65. Incredibly young and vibrant, she had a heart of gold and such determination, I thought sure she would beat it. I was wrong. Just a year later she lost her battle, and I was left feeling vulnerable and helpless in finding a reason for it all.

It wasn't until 2008, however, that I began to question the hopelessness of fighting time when my son died suddenly at the age of 30. Time he had thought he would have plenty of, and he used doing whatever he wanted to do - enjoying things many only take the time to write down on a bucket list. He lived. I learned.

This year, I have made a resolution to take time to be happy every single day. I may not live to grow very old but I want to be happy for as long as I live. Happiness is really not all that difficult to achieve: friends, family , pets, and even people you meet on the street can bring a smile. And if you try just a little bit, you can find happiness in any situation, no matter how dire it may seem at the time. Growing old may not always be easy, but I'm going to try to do it with a smile on my face anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on this subject? Give me your feedback!